Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Delightfulness of Allergies

      Growing up I suffered struggled and was otherwise annoyed by many pesky little allergies, nothing ever serious or life threatening, but enough to make certain parts of the year or certain meals a bit harder to be positive about than others (of course the parts of the year include Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, because having allergies in only one season would be far too mundane for me!) 
But the one thing I swore up and down to never become allergic too... like I had any control over it... was wheat; because I love love love anything to do with bread. I also said even if I DID find out I had such a heinous allergy- that I would continue eating it ANYWAY! No itsy-bitsy side effect would stop me from consuming the deliciousness of baked good and pasta.

So of course I found out I was Gluten Intolerant.

And I couldn't have been happier.

By the point I found out I was Gluten Intolerant, I was ready to skip eating anything if it made the horribleness my health had become to just stop. At that point I had started having migraines every day for weeks and had barely eaten anything in the same amount of time. 
So when a most wonderful lady who has Celiac pointed out the obvious signs, I was overjoyed. Giving up wheat hasn't been all fun, and it certainly can be very hard at times, but there are so many positive things about it. I no longer find it hard to have my daily servings of fruit and vegetables. I no longer have to worry about pounds gained by all the junk food I consumed. 
And besides it could be worse.

I could have been allergic to something in ice cream.

I REFUSE to give up ice cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment